Kansas City is hosting the Missouri Writers’ Guild 101st Annual State Writers Conference (April 29 – May 1, 2016). Open to new and experienced writers, we’ll talk craft, how to break into publishing, survival skills, and tips and tricks that should be in your toolkit. Our 2016 Keynote speakers are José Faus, Pam Grout, and Rachel Russell.
Guest agents include:
- Janelle Walden Agyerman, Marie Brown Literary
- Amy Cloughley, Kimberley Cameron & Associates
- Reiko Davis, DeFiore and Company
- Adriana Dominguez, Full Circle Literary
- Abby Saul: Browne & Miller Literary Associates
Guest editors include:
- Philip Martin: Editorial Director, Crickhollow Books and Crispin Books
- Georgia McBride: Publisher, Month9Books
- Eileen Robinson: Publisher, Move Books (Sunday Master Class and Critiques)
- Deborah Reinhardt: Managing Editor, AAA Midwest Traveler, AAA Southern Traveler
- April Roy
- Napthali Faris
Guest authors include:
- Terry J. Allen: “Character Development Through Dramatic Action”
- Barbara Bartocci: “Writing Memorable Memoir”
- Angela Cervantes: “The Author/Agent Relationship”
- Gwendolyn Hooks – “Nonfiction for Kids and Work for Hire”
- Jen Mann – Is it Funny Yet?, True Stories Well Told, and a Master Class on Nonfiction
- Erick McHenry, Kansas Poet Laureate – “Poetry Breakout”
- Janet Sunderland – “Saving Grandpa’s Stories (and Grandma’s Too!)”
Faculty subject to change. For up to date details on guest speakers and presenters, be sure to visit the MWG website.
Erick McHenry, Poet Laureate, will teach workshops on Poetry. We’ll also have sessions covering nonfiction, travel, memoirs, humor, working with agents, and more. The MWG Conference offers two tracks: one for those writing adult literature and one for those writing children’s literature and young adult.
And for the first time we’re offering a Shark Tank – a live 90-second pitch of your project in front of our editors and agents or a First Pages option. Some faculty have agreed to read queries in advance. Information about manuscript submission will be sent to those who enroll.
Come join us and advance your career. Real talk with real professionals. Friday reception, Saturday Lunch, and the Saturday Banquet included in the tuition. Find the MWG flyer/printable registration here. For online registration click here.
The event will be hosted at the Kansas City Hilton April 29 – May 1, 2016, one exit from the Kansas City International airport. Early bird pricing for tuition is available until March 2.